The American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (ASNC) represents a key subset of cardiology — nuclear cardiology. Heart disease remains the number one killer in the United States, accounting for one in every four deaths — one death every 36 seconds.
Additionally, fewer patients are dying from myocardial infarction and living with congestive heart failure and other sequelae. Combined, this has resulted in an explosion of non-invasive cardiac testing — echocardiography, nuclear cardiology (nuclear stress tests/PET scans), CT angiography/coronary artery calcium scores, etc.
As a result, there remain significant concerns about the overuse of these tests and their included costs. Both Choosing Wisely and the ASNC have put out statements and criteria to decrease these risks.
We have previously reviewed most apps favorably from the American College of Cardiology, including their outstanding ASCVD, Anticoag Evaluator, DAPT calculator, LDL Manager, TreatHF, and BridgeAnticoag apps. This is the first app I have reviewed from the ASNC.
The ASNC Guidelines and Standards app takes most of the ASNC guidelines and presents them in an easy-to-view/use format. The guidelines are a mix of evidence-based medicine and expert opinion. The app does not describe in detail the process of guideline creation.
Each guideline includes extensive references with hyperlinks to the article/PubMed. Key position statements are included on videos embedded in the app as are key practice pointers.
- Simple-to-navigate interface to explore each guideline’s recommendations with excellent directions and video guide
- Includes interactive tools/algorithms, links to references, and podcasts
- Available for Android (and included guidelines in multiple languages)
- Some sections of the app are text-heavy
- No additional guidelines from the ASNC website such as appropriateness criteria
- Includes some pharma advertisements
This post appeared on iMedicalApps.com.
Last Updated October 09, 2020